The Ottawa Renewable Energy Co-operative
Over 750 members have invested more than $8 M in local, community-owned solar projects throughout Eastern Ontario.
OREC spent a lot of time measuring the performance of their projects, ensuring the highest possible return on investment for investors.
In 2017, they looked beyond those standard metrics, to see what kind of impact the Co-operative was having in Eastern Ontario. The 2017 Community Impact Report is the result of that work.
Learn about their incredible project partners.
Discover how an investment can significantly reduce your carbon footprint.
Explore the growing role investment dollars play in Eastern Ontario’s local economy.
- 4 projects on local schools
- 60 community events attended
- 2000 volunteer hours between directors, members, and supporters
- Produced 4,500,000 kWh of clean energy to date
- Directors & staff of the Co-operative are always working to realize a 100% renewable Eastern Ontario, and achieving it through community financing. OREC is represented, among others, on the following boards and committees:
- IESO Local Advisory Committee
- City of Ottawa Official Plan Sounding Board
- Ottawa Chamber of Commerce Environment & Sustainability Committee
- $7 million invested with $661,623 returned to investors to date
- $17,681 average investment
- $2.5 million paid to local labour
- $60,500 paid in annual lease payments to local project hosts